Are you a foot soldier for the cause?


The National Civil Rights Museum at the Loraine Motel, Memphis Tennessee


Birmingham Alabama


Sixteenth Street Baptist Church



Kelley Ingram Park




Birmingham Civil Rights Institute




Selma Alabama


On February 18, 1965, about 9:30 pm Jimmie Lee, his grandfather, Cager Lee, and his mother, Viola Jackson were participating in a nighttime demonstration in Marion which was a very dangerous thing to do, but they were only allowed to march at night because it wouldn't disturb the businesses.
The streets were completely surrounded by police and state troopers.
When the police began to attack the marchers, all of the streetlights went out. His grandfather who was 82 years old was badly beaten and was bleeding. Jimmie Lee rushed him over to a cafe, then he tried to leave the cafe to take his grandfather to the hospital. The state troopers pushed him back inside the cafe and began knocking out all of the lights and hitting those inside the cafe.
When Jimmie Lee saw the trooper hit his mother, he attacked the trooper and was hit in the face by another officer and pushed against a cigarette machine. Then another officer pulled out his pistol and shot him in the stomach.
As he escaped from the cafe the troopers chased him up the street beating him until he dropped.
It was two hours later before Jimmie Lee was taken to the hospital in Selma, because he was arrested and charged with assault and battery.

Seven days later, on February 25, 1965, Jimmie Lee Jackson died from an infection caused by the shooting.


jimmie lee photo



No one could identify the policeman who shot and killed Jimmie Lee Jackson.






Edumund Pettus Bridge



First March
Sunday, March 7, 1965, "Bloody Sunday"

At 1:00 P.M. as 600 peaceful marchers approached the bottom of the Edmund Pettus Bridge they were met by Alabama state troopers and local deputies.

The marchers were preparing to march from Selma, Alabama to Montgomery, Alabama which is the state capital. They were marching the 54 miles in protest to the death of Jimmie Lee Jackson and unfair voter registration practices.

When ordered to end the march by state troopers, the marchers were given three minutes, but within one and half minutes they were attacked by dogs, beaten with billy clubs, tear gas, and chased by posses.

As the marchers were being attacked the ABC television network was there to film the march not knowing that it would become violent. The ABC television network immediately stopped the present show to introduce to the country the brutality that was taking place in Selma, Alabama. This day became known as "Bloody Sunday." Back to top


Second March
Tuesday, March 9, 1965, "Turnaround Tuesday"

After the brutal attack on the Selma marchers, Dr. King sent a telegram around the country asking for ministers of all faiths to come to Selma, Alabama to march to Montgomery, Alabama.

While waiting for the judge's decision to march, Dr. King received word that the judge had denied the march to take place on Tuesday, and it would be Thursday before a decision would be announced.

With 1,500 people of all races waiting to march Dr. King made a decision to continue the march. As the marchers were singing "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Round" when they reached the bottom of the Edmund Pettus Bridge once again they were met by the Alabama state troopers.

When the marchers were ordered to end the march, Dr. King and the marchers knelt down, prayed, and walked back to Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church. Dr. King made a decision to discontinue the march because he did not want violence to happen as it did on "Bloody Sunday."

Because Dr. King and the marchers turned back and marched to the church this became known as "Turnaround Tuesday." Later that evening three white ministers were attacked and beaten with a iron pipe. Rev. James Reeb was badly injured and later died from a blow to the head. The death of Rev. Reeb gained national attention. President Johnson introduced the Voting Rights Bill. Back to top

Third March
Sunday, March 21, 1965

After the death of Rev. Reeb, Governor Wallace flew to Washington DC to meet with President Johnson. He claimed that the state of Alabama did not have enough manpower to protect the marchers along highway 80. President Johnson then ordered the Alabama National Guardsmen to protect the marchers from Selma to Montgomery.

Later that day President Johnson made a speech to the nation about the "Bloody Sunday" event. Many Negroes felt that it took the death of a white minister for the President to become concerned about the movement and not the death of Jimmie Lee Jackson.

Finally, Judge Frank Johnson gave permission for the march to take place after viewing the "Bloody Sunday" news tape. He then ordered Governor
Wallace not to interfere with the march.

On Sunday, March 21, 1965, about 3,500 people with the nation watching left Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church marching and singing to the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

Among the marchers were ministers of all faith and races, leaders from every major organization, and celebrities such as Ralph Bunche and Harry Belafonte.

To protect the marchers about twelve planes and helicopters flew over the marchers. Once the marchers covered seven miles, as ordered by President Johnson only 300 were allowed to walk highway 80. The other 2,000 marchers were taken back to Selma by Alabama railways.Back to top


Montgomery Alabama
Thursday, March 25, 1965

Around noon over 25,000 marchers had lined the streets of Montgomery in front of the capitol because they were not allowed on the steps of the capitol. Governor Wallace sent a message at about 2:00 PM to say that he would meet with a delegation, but they must be Alabamaians.

Dr. King delivered one of his most powerful speeches about the injustices done to the Negro people in Alabama. Listen to a portion of the speech.

After this great speech a group of 18 Negroes and 2 whites attempted to give a petition to Governor Wallace, but his executive secretary tried to accept the petition, so Rev. Joseph Lowery refuse to place it in his hands.

Around 6:00 PM the marchers were transported back to Selma by buses, trains, and cars. They were advised to leave the city of Montgomery before dark.

Sadly, on that evening a white woman by the name of Viola Liuzzo was driving from Montgomery heading back toward Selma and was killed by klansmen.Back to top





Brown AME Church







National Voting Rights Museum



Edmund Winston Pettus Bridge



Montgomery Alabama



Civil Rights Memorial and Visitors Center




Rosa Parks Library and Museum/ TSUM and Children's Annex


Tuskegee Alabama


Tuskegee Institute


The Veil of Ignorance Monument




George Washington Carver Museum


The Oaks


Atlanta Georgia

Martin Luther King Junior National Historic Site







Alabama A & M




Oakwood College